Sunday, January 20, 2008

Watermelon: 'you look radishing!'

Presenting the freshest hero in the root vegetable world, the newest savior in the challenge of January local eatingin New England...

the WATERMELON RADISH!


green on the outside, pink on the inside

it's sweet, it's bitter, it's got zing...

it's versatile, it's colorful, it's available locally in the dead of winter...

I was totally hooked by my local co-op's effective weird vegetable marketing scheme of displaying the vivid cross section of this otherwise unassuming crop, so I nabbed one on impulse. WOWOW! Apparently an heirloom variety of the daikon radish, this guy packs quite the punch--very succulent, full of flavor, and oh the color!



Friday night I threw it in a lentil soup (green lentils, onions, potatoes, carrots, watermelon radish, garlic!)

and Saturday night I grated it with some other vivid local root veggies--carrots and golden beets-- plus ginger, lemon & apple cider vinegar, in a little number I like to call psychedelic salad:


delish! and nutrish!

brighten your palate and pick up some psychedelic root veggies at your grocers this winter!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Killer post Emily. Lovely pics. I am a turnip fellow myself, but you have inspired me. Well done.

Anonymous said...

oooooh. can i come over?? please?

King Roomie Rock said...

Check those skills!!!

emily said...

yes! please come over!

all y'all!