Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Ghost of Karen Dalton

Who is Karen Dalton? If you don't know, don't fret, for she was an elusive figure, for even those who knew her it seems. Count her in among the likes of Nick Drake and Bridgett St. John--the much forgotten but most deserving underground of the 60s-70s folk scene. Bob Dylan referred to her as his favorite voice from that time. Her career never really took off, and she struggled with drugs and alcohol through most of it, dying a virtual unknown in 1993.

Please enjoy this video, one of my favorites, both for her distinctive voice and the images that seem to be of a haunting wraith, captured.


If you like what you see, I highly recommend her 2 solo albums "In My Own Time" and "It's So Hard To Know Who's Going To Love You The Best", both of which were re-released in November 2006 and feature some of her really superb banjo playing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always a wonderful post Emily. So good to see you in person. Did you get my mailing address? I popped over to Nothing in the House and dropped it there.

Great tunes. Thanks.

PS Lakers lost to the Kings (6-16) and the Pistons lost to the Wiz (4-15). Ouch!

emily said...

So nice to see you too...I plan to send the goods along today! When you're done with the flashcards, pass them on to Miles--he needs to improve his vocab.

King Roomie Rock said...

Billie Holiday...mountain music version...wonderful...

Anonymous said...

Great post and blog - thought you might enjoy my notes on her here:

http://www.thedailydisc.com/genre/rock/call-me-katie-cruel-karen-daltons-in-my-own-time

Tahnks!