Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Wassail, Wassail!


Upon Ward's request, I ventured to post a clip from one of my favorite Christmas movies, A Child's Christmas In Wales, a 1987 PBS/BBC adaptation of Dylan Thomas' classic story. The Hilliards will be watching it this evening (off of the VHS we taped it onto), and if you can find it, I highly recommend it. It is the story of a traditional Welsh Christmas told by a grandfather to his son. My favorite reminisces are the opening scene, where, when the firemen come to put out a fire in her home, the crazy grandmother asks rather calmly,"does anyone care for something to READ", children furtively'smoking' candy cigarettes behind the neighbor's house, and when the grandfather(in his youth) receives a red knitted nose-warmer (attached by strings around the ears) from his aunt for Christmas.

Alas, since I can't post any moving pictures from that, here are some other favorites.

A Jethro Tull seasonal selection, Solstice Bells, with some killer 70s Hobbit-style animation:

And a total 'Ren-Faire Rock' version by the Albion Dance Band (featuring Shirley Collins!) of one of my favorite carols, The Wassail Song. I like it because it's about celebrating the new year by trekking through the snow to carol your neighbors, eat cakes, and drink ale!


Jolly Wassail, Solstice, and Christmas to all, and special love to Miles and Omari who are celebrating their first holidays ever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My better half is wrapping presents while I sit on the computer pleasantly sedated. I love christmas...and it is raining.

All love to all the kids who every now and again type in those most important words.


www.livefromapt.blogspot.com