Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Freddie Hubbard RIP


Peace and respect to Freddie Hubbard who passed away on the 29th of this month.

A fellow Hoosier (born in Indy) Hubbard was first brought to my attention (courtesy of my man Lee Trembly) my freshman year of college...Red Clay was one of the first jazz albums I ever purchased...I recently found this on wax a few years ago. I think I paid $14 for it on vinyl which is to say that I UNDERPAID. Check the Wiki link above for his credentials...here's a small selection of some of the major albums in the 60's that he appeared on:

The Blues and the Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson
Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter
Free Jazz - Ornette Coleman
Out to Lunch - Eric Dolphy
Ascension - John Coltrane

Check it below...you may recognize the drums from the Tribe Called Quest track "Sucka Nigga".


Must owns for any APT member?

Red Clay, 1970, Hard bop, Fusion CTI


Straight Life, 1970, Hard bop, Fusion CTI

(the artwork for this record inspired the 2008 yearbook cover for Manchester Memorial High School in Manchester, NH)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Red Cly is obviously a classic. Great post Roomie.